Although it may seem impossible to lose weight and nourish your heart simultaneously, it is possible with the appropriate technique. You can lose weight and improve your cardiovascular health with a heart-healthy diet. Let’s go further into this winning formula.
Adopt a Whole Foods Diet First
Whole, unprocessed foods are the backbone of a heart-healthy diet for weight loss.
- Eat many fresh fruits and vegetables for fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Replace processed meats with poultry, fish, tofu, and legumes.
- Choose quinoa, brown rice, and oats over white flour products.
Moderate Your Serving Sizes
For effective weight management, it’s crucial to pay attention to serving sizes:
- Reduce the size of your plates to curb your portions visually.
- Pay attention to your body and eat only till you feel satisfied.
- Beware of high-calorie toppings and condiments even when eating healthy.
Good Fats are Allies
All fats are not equal. Try to eat more avocados, nuts, seeds, and olive oil, all of which are high in healthy fats that are good for your heart. Cut back on fried and processed foods’ saturated and trans fats.
Restrict Your Intake of Added Sugars and Salt.
The heart can suffer from too much sugar and salt:
- You can find out how much sugar and salt are in processed foods by reading the labels.
- Try unsweetened drinks and flavor your food with herbs and spices instead of salt.
There is no need for drastic measures or fad diets while following a heart-healthy diet to shed excess pounds. Adopting a diet high in healthy fats and low in added sugars and salt, while cutting back on processed foods and portion sizes, can help you lose weight and protect your heart.